Eduard Bohlen Memorial Tour
This once-in-a-lifetime trip with Live the Journey promises to be a truly unique experience.
The Eduard Bohlen Memorial tour is focused on the 110-year commemoration of the stranding of this icon of the Namib Desert. The ship stranded about 10 km south of Conception Bay on the 5th of September 1909. It was a misty morning, Captain Parow was on the bridge looking for Conception Bay while slowly moving towards the coast. The lead line showed that there was still about 50 m of depth and the Eduard Bohlen slowly floated towards the coastline. The anchor was dropped at the back of the ship, but the anchor chain snapped which caused the ship to be pushed with force onto a sandbank. The ship was stranded about 500 m from the coastline on a sandbank. Forceful waves picked the Eduard Bohlen up before slamming it back onto the sandbank. The captain asked the 30 passengers whether they wanted to stay onboard or try to get to shore. Over the course of three days passengers made their way to shore about 10 km south to Conception Bay.
Today the wreck lies about 300 m inland from the coastline … a ghost structure that is decaying rapidly each year. In a few years only the story of the Eduard Bohlen will be told, as no remains will be visible.
Don’t miss the exceptional guided 4x4 journey from 03 to 08 September 2019 to the Eduard Bohlen to visit the remains of this most photographed wreck, before the elements destroy what is left, turning it into a phantom.
COST PER PERSON:
Child aged 6-17 years: R3,900.00
Child aged 0-5 years: R1,550.00
Single supplement: R1,750.00
Booking fee per adult: R150.00
- This tour operates on a minimum of 20 adult guests travelling.
- Prices for concession fees, taxes, park fees and fuel may be changed without prior notice. This is beyond our control and any increase levied will be for the traveller’s account.
- A detailed packing list will be provided.
- We can assist with 4x4 vehicle rental.
- Travel insurance and medical evacuation - Clients need to take out their own travel insurance and emergency evacuation cover in case of a motor vehicle accident, heart attack or any other medical emergency. Please contact us for more information.
INCLUDED: Meals as per itinerary, special dinner on the evening of the 5th of September, experienced guide with own vehicle, two-way radios for vehicles, camping fees, concession fees, communal camp shower and toilet.
EXCLUDED: Transport, fuel, camping gear, travel insurance and vehicle insurance, lunch and drinks,
Items of a personal nature, accommodation pre- and post- the tour.